"Help Spread Congenital Heart Defects Awareness"

Help Spread Congenital Heart Defects Awareness

Weight Loss For Life Headline Animator

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Weight Loss Surgery Eliminated My Knee Pain - Read On

When I was overweight one of the only things that effected me, that I really noticed, was the severe pain in my knees. It came on a little at a time and to tell you the truth I tried to blame it on soccer. I had been an athlete my entire life and I just figured all of that running and abuse was finally taking it's toll.

The pain was starting to bother me so badly that I made an appointment with an orthopedist. I expected to hear something like I would need an MRI and then some physical therapy. He did a full round of x-rays, also did the MRI. He had me back in two weeks. What I heard from him then, nearly knocked me off my chair.

The Dr. told me that me knee joints were deteriorating at an alarming rate. He compared it to cheese on a grater. He said that if I did nothing, by the time I was 50 I would be in a wheel chair. I was 33 at the time. Needless to say I left his office in tears.

As time went on the knees got worse. So worse, in fact, that I could not walk up and down a single flight of stairs. I needed help rising from a seated position. And most embarrassing of all, I need my husband to help me lower myself onto the toilet and then get back up. The pain was unbearable.

My knee pain played a major factor in my decision for having weight loss surgery. In the end it paid off. After surgery I did not have that type of knee pain again. And what I had only imagined were cause and effect, are now backed up by science, as you will read in the study that was just release a few days ago.

The Penn State study showed that all of the participants had some level of pain reduction after weight loss surgery with no other treatment to the knees. The participants had improved quality of life, the ability to perform day to day functions and physical activity.

The findings were scheduled to be presented Saturday at the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine's Specialty Day program.

"Each individual had some kind of improvement in their pain from losing weight, some more than others." lead researcher Christopher Edwards, of the Penn State College of Medicine, said in a society news release.

To view the full article click here

No comments:

Post a Comment